Monday, August 5, 2013

Mac and Cheese..week 9 isn't so fun!

It's been 2 weeks and 2 day since finding out I'm pregnant, and 1 1/2 weeks since my first blog post, and I already feel like a million "pregnancy" things have happened.  I just haven't been very good at blogging about them!  At least once a day, I'll think "oh, this should be in our blog! I should remember this!"  Unfortunately, exhaustion kicks in at the end of the day and blogging does not happen.  So time to catch up on the past few weeks.

First of all, a big hello to morning/daytime/evening sickness, constant nausea, gas, bloating, and cramps!  The week of my first post, I was suffering from the worst gas cramps of my life.  I tried every natural remedy I read about online, and finally found relief with drugs, specifically GasX.  As someone who has never struggled with this particular issue, it was slightly embarrassing throwing that on the check-out counter.  But, I should probably get used to that feeling as I'm sure I'll be purchasing a lot of other private-type things over the next 8 months.  As for those certain meds, the little chewable tablets helped me so much I'd do a commercial for the company.  I'm keeping them in my desk at work (outer packaging noticeably absent) and by our bedside for emergencies.

While I was still saying thanks for the gas/bloating relief, I was struck by even worse pregnancy symptoms.  Last week, nausea and sickness hit full blast.  I was getting sick in the morning, the evening, and occasionally in the afternoon, and dealing with all-day nausea.  Which brings me to the title of this post.  Nothing tasted right or settled my stomach until I tried mac and cheese.  It was a miracle food!  I've had it more than a handful of times this past week.  Not exactly "healthy" for me and baby, but at least I'm able to keep some calories in for a few hours.

The getting-sick part really is horrible.  I feel like I'm constantly hung over!  I was so miserable last Thursday at work that I ended up spilling the beans to a few of my female coworkers.  I don't know how people keep it a secret for 12 weeks!  Or even 8 weeks, after finding out.  How long can you use the excuse "oh, I just ate something that didn't sit well with me"?!  I was crying at my desk mid-morning, exhausted from throwing up my first and second breakfasts, when a worried coworker asked what was wrong.  Rather than come up with a good lie (when is it appropriate to pretend someone has been hurt?), I told the truth.  I really only admitted it because this particular coworker is also pregnant so I knew she'd be the most sympathetic!  But after telling her, I realized I needed to tell a few other people.  I'm still trying to keep it a secret from the rest of my coworkers, so I really hope no one says anything for 5 more weeks!  It will be nice having some people in the know, so when I'm feeling miserable I don't have to work quite so hard to hide it.

In addition to my coworkers, we also told a close group of friends and Aron's family this past weekend.  That all came about because one of our friends asked me directly "are you preggers yet?"  I really need to work on my lies for the next few weeks, because all I could do was smile and nod.  It's just so exciting to share the news!  When I told the ladies at work, I was met with a round of screaming and congrats and hugs.  Exactly the reaction every girl wants when she shares the news!  And when we told our friends, there were more congrats and hugs and excited questions.  I'm glad Aron got to experience that, because its so nice to feel loved and supported.  Of course, there were a few accusing "I can't believe you didn't tell me sooner!" statements, but that's fair.  It is so strange keeping something like this from our friends!  Hey, they're all lucky I can't keep my mouth shut and they're finding out 6 weeks earlier than planned!

Telling Aron's family was also really special, although I wish we could have done it in person.  Instead, we facetimed.  Everyone was very happy at the news, except for his niece and nephew, who were indifferent and just wanted us to put our cats on the screen.  Aron's sister Charlotte had saved some baby stuff for us, which I'm excited to pick up the next time we visit his mom in Vegas.  Our first baby things!  So very crazy to think about.

This past weekend we had a lot of festivities for Aron and Ed's birthdays, but even with all of the activity, the weekend was relatively nausea/sickness-free.  So much so that I actually got worried I wasn't pregnant anymore.  Aron echoed my worries by uttering "man, I hope you're still pregnant."  He's now banned from saying those words after the spiral he sent me into!  Luckily, I woke up sick again this morning!  For how awful being sick is, it is sort of a nice reassurance that everything is still okay.  And maybe the old wive's tale will be true...you know, the one that claims that more morning sickness = having a girl!

Off to eat my Monster's Inc-shaped instant mac and cheese!  Yes, having a baby has turned me into a child myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment